La Madrague Surf Beach,
The Basque people have called this south-west corner of France home for millennia and the influence of their rich culture is apparent everywhere you look. The southern part of the department contains what is known in French as the Pays Basque. Although the French Basque lost their autonomy after the Revolution, the Basque language and culture still thrive in the area’s traditional towns and villages. Though French is the official language, a quarter of the population still speak Basque, a mysterious language without any links to any Indo-European dialect.
From world class surfing beaches to excellent ski resorts, and from golf courses to mountain walks, the Basque country has a lot to offer. For relaxation there are many spas in the area and kicking nightlife in cities such as Biarritz and San Sebastián. Besides the 37! Michelin star restaurants in the Basque country there are many other excellent places to eat. We will be happy to advise you where to go. Don’t leave without tasting the renowned local cuisine.
Anglet is a laid back beach town with large gold sand beaches just on the edge of Biarritz. Famous for its excellent surf and golf facilities, Anglet has grown into a prime family holiday destination..
In the Chiberta area, where the house is located, you can find many activities such as a 9 hole golf course, the Atlanthal spa with gym, a horse riding club, yachting club, pine forest, surf schools, kids club, skatepark, restaurants and many other things to do .
Anglet is in between Bayonne and Biarritz, two cities with a long history of which Bayonnes stretches right back to Roman times. Don’t forget to visit the ‘fête de Bayonne’, starting end of July, a ‘Pamplona’ style festival attracting thousands of visitors dressed in red and white. In Biarritz ‘les Halles’ are the place to go to get your fresh fish, meat or vegetables. Be sure to taste the oysters on the spot with a good glass of white wine. Around les Halles you will also find a large variety of high quality restaurants and good nightlife. There are also some good tapas bars here. You can also try your luck at the Biarritz Casino.
- Leclerc supermarket: 43 rue du Bois Belin, Anglet. A medium sized supermarket where you will find everytthing you need.
- Carrefour city: small supermarket which caters for the necessities. 20 avenue Guynemer, Anglet
- Shopping mall BAB 2. Shopping mall with various shops and large Carrefour. Avenue Leon Laporte, Anglet
- Sos Medecins : 10 Allée Vega, Anglet. General practitioners centre who also do house visits if needed. Tel: 0559033000
- Closest Emergency room : 21 r Estagnas, Biarritz. Tel: 0825134600
- Pediatric emergency : Bayonne hospital, 13 av Interne Jacques Loëb, bayonne
- Police : 5 rue du 8 mai, anglet. Tel : 0559638464, or 17
- Fire department : dial 18
- Ambulance: dial 15
How to get there from International Airports?
Biarritz Airport, 10 minutes drive from the house.
Biarritz train station, 10 minutes drive from the house
Bordeaux Airport: two hours drive, 200 km
San Sebastian Airport: 35 minutes drive, 45 km, Located in Irun
Bilbao Airport, 1.5 hours drive 150 km
Pau airport, 1.2 hours drive 130 km
Activities in the area.
- Surfing for all levels and ages ; from young kids to seasoned pros everybody can find waves in Anglet.
- Road biking
- Mountain biking
- Pelote Basque
- Spa centre
- Personal training and gym
- Horseback riding
- Jetski rental
- Skate parks
- Wine tours
- Quad tours.
- Spanish tapas just across the border
- Various traditional basque festivals
- Mountain hiking
Also check the local tourist office for information: : anglet-tourisme.com